Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Crying to the Choir

I recently read a description of the Democratic Party (as displayed in their recent convention) as a party of "studied, celebrated victimhood."

The phrase made me chuckle but I didn't think much more of it. Then I received my second email of the day from Mary Beth Cahill, Kerry-Edwards Campaign Mgr., soliciting funds. The following quote is from Cahill's letter:

"Drug companies count their billions while seniors count the number of pills they can afford. Halliburton counts its billions while our troops count the number of soldiers in their unit without body armor. The Saudis count their billions while we count the rising cost of gasoline. The friends of George Bush and Dick Cheney count their tax refunds while the average American counts the days until the next paycheck."

I continue to be amazed that those two (Kerry/Edwards) extremely rich, white, powerful men are able to sell the message of despair, the message that America is being run into the ground by those rich, white, power brokers of the GOP.

They failed to mention that Edwards is counting his millions while doctors struggle to pay their insurance premiums.

When I worked for Coke I sought business relationships with my customers that were mutually beneficial. I saw opportunities to build those contracts that made financial sense to both Coca-Cola and my customer. We called those a win-win situation. Victimhood doesn't allow for that. Victimhood necessitates that if someone is winning, someone else is losing. Victimhood also removes any responsibility from the individual.

Let's remind ourselves that Halliburton is employing thousands of people with those billions of dollars. Let's remind ourselves that drug companies are plowing back billions of dollars into research and development to find the drugs that will save our lives. Let's remind ourselves that the biggest tax cuts go to those who pay the biggest taxes. (And it has nothing to do with a friendship with Bush/Cheney... or Kerry and Edwards wouldn't have gotten their tax cuts.)

There is no nobility in laying in the ditch crying about your wounds. The nobility is in climbing out of the ditch, dressing your wounds and pushing on to the goal. I offer the following borrowed words from Mr. W.E. Henley.

"In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud: Under the bludgeoning of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed."

Democrats, please stop telling us that we're losers. Start reminding us that we have the strength to get up and finish the race, climb the mountain, kill the dragon. It will not be easy, but nothing worth accomplishing ever is. Remind us that America is a land of opportunity, not a land of uniformity.


No comments: