Friday, August 20, 2004

Lightning strikes

What do you offer to a man whose house is burning? What do you offer to a man that's watching the flames rush out of the attic vents and the smoke sneak out of the eaves?

I felt helpless as I stood beside my good friend this morning. Lightning hit the turbine vent and set the attic on fire while we were sitting in the playroom, having a cup of coffee and talking. Minutes later we're in the yard, rain soaking us and watching the smoke in the house get thicker and darker. No one was hurt and of course I'm grateful for that but now there will be months of living in a hotel, working with contractors, cleaners and the insurance company to get the house rebuilt. I can't really help with any of that either. I couldn't put out the fire, I couldn't stop the damage from happening and I can't rebuild the house for him.

When my sister lost her baby daughter her husband told me that all they wanted to hear were the words "I love you. I care about you. I'm sorry for your pain."

Well... my friend, my brother... I care about you, your wife and your girls. I love all four of you. I'm sorry for what happened this morning and I know it's not over yet.

Several observations:
The smoke smell stays in your skin for at least 12 hours.
After a house fire, everything else that day is pretty boring.
Objects do NOT need to be grounded to be struck by lightning.
Lightning certainly can strike the same place twice.
Firemen are wonderful human beings.



No comments: