Monday, January 24, 2005

Unfulfilled Desires (Rated G)

I watched two ballgames yesterday. My wife of almost 11 years couldn't believe it because I used to not care at all about televised sports. Anyway, I watched the playoffs to see who was going to the Superbowl this year. As you know, the Eagles beat the Falcons and the Patriots beat the Steelers.

I rooted for Atlanta and Pittsburgh. I love an underdog. I love to watch a team who's been told that they're not good enough. I love to watch a team who's been written off. I love to watch the persistence and courage demonstrated by a team who gets down in the first half and then comes back to win the ballgame.

Actually, the Falcons and the Steelers were both a little bit disappointing yesterday. They played... but they didn't really overcome the hurdles. In both games, to varying degrees, the Eagles and the Patriots showed why they were favored. They played better football from start to finish and are to be commended for their efforts. Still, I hung on to the end of each game, hoping that the Falcons and the Steelers would dig down inside, find some strength, make some plays and turn the tide of the game in their favor.

I watched. I waited. I hoped. To no avail. However, my faith in the resilience of man remains undamaged. My desire to see a "come from behind victory" remains unfulfilled.

1 comment:

Corey said...

Funny...because (as you know as much as anyone) I was completely fulfilled as a football fan yesterday. Sorry for your underdog loss...but you did not want to see me if the Pats came up short.

Sounds like I may be rubbing off on you a little in the watching sports category!

Go Pats! 3 of 4 and Back to Back!