Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My name is Michael...

If you don't have a friend that can talk you out of buying a new truck you need to get one.

The Yellow Dog is in the shop and it's going to cost a couple of bucks to get her back on her feet... and Ford's offering 0% financing for 72 months... and those new trucks look magnificent. They're safer. They get twice the gas mileage of the Dog. They have four doors. They ride smooth and have plenty of power. The windows completely seal. The AC works. The stereo plays out of all the speakers. My neighbors wouldn't cringe everytime I drove past their houses if I drove a new truck.

The divine Mrs. L and my good friend Kevin talked me down off the ledge. I think the worst of it has passed... but I've got to go back to the dealership to pick up the Dog tomorrow. The trucks will be there... shining, clean, good looking. I don't know if I'll ever get over this... maybe I should start introducing myself as a recovering truckaholic.

1 comment:

Old Pybus said...

I took the Mean Green Machine (also known as the Unripened Banana, the Chartreuse Goose and the Slimy Lime) to the West Pasture for the first time this weekend, and it was love at first sight. Mean Green went anywhere I told her to. She hauled the rocks and stones I loaded with no complaining or concerns about scratches to her shiny new bed. She even blended in with the mesquites. (O.K., so it would've been nice if the radio played music on the way down or if I hadn't had to keep my eye on the oil gauge to make sure we weren't running metal on metal. Of if we could have talked to each other over the rattle of the loose windows.)

Even so, you can't replace the real thing with a cheap imitation.