Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Germany vs. Britain

The best preparation for a trip to Germany, ensuring the enjoyment of those travelling, is a visit to England first. Here's a point-by-point comparison.

When we beheld the complimentary breakfast buffet at our hotel in Wittenburg I got a little tear in my eye. It was a thing of beauty. Scrambled eggs, sausages, breads, fruits, yogurt, cereal, dark coffee... I still get a bit misty, remembering it. So, at the breakfast table, Germany beats Britain on ALL counts.

Germany's history notably includes Adolf Hitler, a fanatic genius and a dark spot in the German fabric by all accounts. Hitler exploited the image of the aryan perfection that he saw as the ideal German and tainted that wholesome, healthful standard. While a visitor to Britain sees lots of soft, pasty Brits, seemingly unconcerned with anything healthy, a visitor to Germany can see that health, nutrition and exercise are part of the German culture that reaches back past Hitler's era. Germany takes the second round.

The roads... England has the roundabout, Germany has the Autobahn. Germany in round three.

The cars... England gives us Vauxhall, MG, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Lotus and of course, the venerable Land Rover. Germany gives us Porsche, VW, Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Now, Jaguar, Aston and Land Rover are all owned by Ford leaving a pretty slim offering from our British friends. Germany's automobile industry is robust and world renowned. Germany takes a split decision in the fourth round.

In the UK there has been an effective ban on gun ownership that is sickening to those of us who enjoy and value our firearms. In 1988 the British government passed the first of several Firearms acts that have resulted in the destruction of hundreds of thousands of guns and accessories. Germany is home to several well-respected gun manufacturers... and I saw deer blinds in every field I passed. Germany leaves Britain behind in the fifth and takes the match.

I hate to have dragged you all the way through this thing but you might have doubted me if I said I was convinced the minute I saw that breakfast buffet.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

While I loved my only trip to England, I think I'd concur with you nonetheless on all issues but the guns. Have you checked the crime stats in these two countries? And how do you really feel about weapons in the hands of the descendents of that "dark spot" that so valued Aryan perfection!?!
In the blogging category, however, you can tell Pybus that Mr. Lewis takes the prof in one round!

imelda said...

I have visited this site. It was well and good. We gets lots of information about work from home over here.Please have a look our this site
Work From Home

auto motix said...

Germany has the good technology of automobiles and Britain is also having alike this but both are very good in automobiles industry.
thanks
used transmission