Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A glimpse of European fashion

If clothing fashion in the US generally follows European clothing fashion then I am about to drop some fashion revelation in your lap.

Soon, the fashionable American male will be wearing his necktie in a whole new way. The tie itself will be slightly wider and have a more firm inner structure than today's ties. But the most important thing is how the tie is tied. In today's traditional style the front of the tie begins with a windsor knot at the collar and ends on or near the waistline. In the near future, the fashionable American tie will begin with a windsor knot at the collar and end only an inch or two below the knot. The knot itself is four or five inches wide because the knot is made from the part of the tie that would traditionally be near the belly button of the wearer and is tied very loosely. Apparently the younger and more fashionable the man, the shorter the tie. Be prepared.

The second interesting fashion revelation is capri pants. You may be saying to yourself, "There's nothing new about capri pants. My wife has several pairs of these and she's been wearing them for years." These aren't just for wives and daughters anymore. Fashionable European men were wearing all manner of capri pants. Yes. MEN! Males, anyway. If I ever was on the fashion train (not likely) I'm clearly not anymore because I can't imagine a scenario in which I'd willingly wear capri pants in public.

Don't cancel your subscription to GQ because I don't expect I'll be sharing fashion advice after this post. But when you're wearing pants that show your ankles and your tie looks like a five year old tied it for you... remember that I warned you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahh yes. Last summer our students referred to those (affectionately?) as man-pris. I thought the man part was a misnomer, but it communicated.