Thursday, June 30, 2005

Big city turn me loose, set me free

I was in Fort Worth for several days last week... felt like a month. I think I'm allergic to concrete, steel and glass so when I get into a city the size of the metroplex I have a bad reaction. I just want to see some dry grass, a couple thousand mesquite trees and the heat waves of west Texas.

Air conditioner in my truck is not working and this week we're over 100 degrees. Makes for a hot drive wherever I've got to go. I still wouldn't trade it for a brand new BMW in the metroplex.

My salary is surely laughable... there are plenty of people who make more than me and I don't mean Waltons, Buffets or Gates. Probably lots of the guys I knew in school are making more than I am. I wouldn't trade my salary for any of theirs if I had to live in a city to make it.

I love this hot, dusty corner of Texas I call home. It's not all that pretty. It's not all that comfortable or hospitable; everything here either bites, scratches or stings. It's not ever going to be "THE NEXT GREAT THING" like Vail or Jackson Hole or Park City or whatever is the next great thing. It's just the right size for me though. I can see countryside on my 5 minute drive to the airport. The people that I pass will still raise a hand off the steering wheel in greeting if I do. Almost no one thinks I'm the gardener when I park my 87 Ford pick up in front of my house.

Best of all, I've got a group of friends that don't care if I have a BMW. They don't care if I have Armani suits and ties. They aren't concerned that I don't make six figures. I wouldn't trade them for anyone in the metroplex.

1 comment:

Matt said...

You left out the absolute worst part. With all of the Christian-like love that I have in my heart for our friends to the East, can I say this? People in the metroplex drive like giant, green, gooey pflegm-wads.

If - like I sometimes do - you are prodding along the freeway at a snail's pace (read: "at the speed limit") and you signal a lane change, the only effect that your signal will have on the surrounding traffic is to cause people to quickly advance into the lane you want to enter, so that they don't have to plod along behind you.

Better to drive an old Ford truck on the streets of Abilene than a shiny '05 BMW on Loop 820 during rush hour.