Friday, October 15, 2004

Open Our Eyes, Lord

We were outbid yesterday on the house we'd been trying to buy. It seems like a curse right now but I'm certain it will turn into a blessing. I may be trying too hard to comfort myself at this point but I'm thinking about all the work that I'd have to have done to that house to bring it up to our imperial standards. But that may not be the blessing that God has in mind.

Many times I have made the mistake of using my standards to measure God's gifts. In other words, when I read God's promises to bless us and prosper us I believe that He means to give us money and houses and clothes and food. Maybe He does. Maybe He means that He will lead me to a place where I am more dependant on Him. Maybe He means that He will lead me to a place where I am a better spouse, parent, brother. Maybe God's ideas of blessings are somewhat more spiritual than mine.

God, I pray that your blessings will be poured out on me and my family. I pray that we will find ways to do your will. I pray that we will see your sheep and will be willing to feed them. I pray that our lives will bring glory to your name and that first and foremost we seek your face.

No comments: