Thursday, October 21, 2004

Freakin' Genius

My 8 year old son, a genius by my own unscientific measurements, asked me the other day what I would do first if I were the president. No, it's not your typical "drive to school" kind of question and it took me by surprise.

Anyway, I looked thoughtfully out the windshield and pulled on my beard and willed the coffee I was drinking to hurry it up and start making a difference inside my brain. I finally settled on an answer that satisfied my son. I explained that I would start spending more of our tax dollars on things inside our country and quit sending so much of our money to other countries. He said if he were president he would make a law that punished people who sold drugs by putting them in prison for the rest of their lives.

The greatest part of this was that we didn't argue with each other. Neither of us felt the need to cut down the other's view point. Neither of us chose to belittle the other's idea. We just gave each other the acknowledging grunts and nods that pass for communication between men and we went on to the next question about our favorite books, movies and songs. Not only is he smart, he's cool.

Thank you God for my sons. Thank you for giving them above average intelligence. Thank you for blessing them with sharp minds and healthy bodies. Thank you for trusting them to my care. Thank you for their excitement and wonder and joy at things that I sometimes take for granted. Please give me the patience, the wisdom and the desire to be a great father to these magnificent young men.

No comments: