Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Father of mercies, hear our prayer

I just got an email from our friends who are moving to Thailand. They have chosen to take the message of Jesus to the Thai people. In order to do so, they will live in Bangkok and learn to live and work like their hosts. They are leaving behind everything familiar and will embrace a culture, a language and a nation that is nothing like their current home in the USA. As I imagined all the stress that they must be feeling as they put their belongings into a sea container and they apply for visas and they secure international driver's licenses I am overwhelmed.

I was getting a little bit worried about where my family might live if our house sells before we find another house to buy. Will we have to rent? Will we find a duplex? Apartment? Will we buy a house? Will we build a house? Will we live in the country? Will we live in the city?

I am reminded that I must trust in God. I must rely on the God that says, "Consider the lillies." I must rely on the God that says, "I know what I have planned for you." I must rely on the God that says, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, would give him a stone?" I must rely on the God that has been faithful for thousands of years. I must stop trying to rely on my wisdom, which has been questionable for little more than three decades.

God, bless us with your peace. Fill us with the desire to serve you. Cleanse our hearts of any impure motives as we contemplate our decisions to sell and buy real estate. I want to see your face. I want to do your will, God. I want to die to my sinful desires so that I can live in your light.

No comments: