Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Odd bits

A couple of random things since today I spent mainly cleaning and getting ready to be gone for a week.

Overheard on the street last week and never, ever heard on the streets of Abilene: "I sure did fancy that mackerel pate."No lie, I actually heard a woman say this to her friend.

I thought I would find the British to be substantially healthier than Americans, especially in this community where there is alot of walking. Not so. The dish that England is famous for is fish and chips. This is essentially a platter sized serving of the #1 combo at Long John Silvers. Wash it all down with a warm, dark beer... now who feels like getting a little exercise?

I often think of Abilene as a college town and it is in it's own way. There are other college towns, like College Station and Norman, Oklahoma. None compare to Oxford, England. In the Oxford University system there are 59 colleges right here in Oxford. I don't know how many foreign universities maintain a campus here, as ACU does but I've seen shirts from several American universities and I routinely see groups of students speaking Italian, German, Spanish and some asian languages that I am not able to identify. Higher education is the primary industry of this city.

We had fajitas tonight. We imported some seasonings. However, we bought our sour cream here. I thought the food in Iowa was flavor-deficient... these people sell sour cream that has no flavor whatsoever.

I have to give it up for their cheeses, though. They've got some national pride tied to their cheese making and it's well deserved. We've tried several different varieties and been well pleased. They offer a rating system, from 1 to 7 for the intensity of the flavor. For example a slice of double Gloucester (similar to a really creamy American cheese) is a 1. The Red Leicester we have in our fridge is a 2 and tastes like a good, solid cheddar. Stephen Shewmaker bought a cheese rated at a 7 but I don't know if he's gotten up the courage to try it yet. Apparently, the way they make the 7's is to allow the cheese to cure and age for a much longer period of time. I guess it's like the Glenlivet... 12 years in a musty farmhouse before it sees the light of day.

I'm regaining my love for the Land Rover. The divine Mrs. L drove a Discovery for a couple of years and I really liked it alot. It's offroad capability and it's unique design made it very attractive to me. I may have to find myself an old Series 2 or Series 3 Defender when I get back to the States. That is, if I can survive the culinary onslaught.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I may have to find myself an old Series 2 or Series 3 Defender when I get back to the States."
Why do you hate me? I do the very best I can. Honest. I am old and tired but I try hard.

Matt said...

I'm not sure I would ever go to Europe. Several weeks is a long time to get by without REAL Tex Mex.

Also, in my opinion, if its flavorless, they should call it "cream," instead of "sour cream."

Corey said...

Who knew that your truck read your blog? I thought all that she could do is break down on the way to Temple and let Maggie make waste in her bed.

If it makes you feel any better, you have had more (and probably better) Mexican food in Oxford than we have found in Nashville. I guess it is hard to find good mexican food when everyone is the same race.

Welcome to the South...

Unknown said...

Hey man. I just found your blog and caught up with all of your adventures. Glad to see you went punting. I always wanted to go, but I couldn't find anyone to join me on the expedition. The cheese ratings were enlightening. We started to walk into a fromagery (sp?) in Paris one day, but we only made it as far as the front steps. The fragrance outside was a 7+ so we took a pass on going inside.

Jonathan